Friday, January 2, 2009

...know that Ratatouille 2 (aka The Tale of Despereaux) is NOT a comedy.

Man...2 movies in a row that I have paid for, and throughly NOT enjoyed. Why is it that in order for you to have an animated movie about rats/mice, the main theme of the movie needs to be about food? This just proves, once again, if its not Pixar, don't go watch it. Instead of using voice over to try and cover up bad acting (like The Spirit), this movie uses big name actors to cover up a bad story: Matthew Broderick, Dustin Hoffman, Emma Watson, Kevin Kline, William H. Macy, Christopher Lloyd, etc.

Storyline: Town worships soup. Rat ruins soup. King outlaws soup and rats. Mouse tries to save town.

The Bad: The biggest thing that popped out at me is that this movie is NOT FUNNY. In fact, if I had known that this was not going to be funny, I may give it a slightly higher score. But this is an animated kids movie--it should be funny! I think my roommate said that he laughed once...I didn't laugh at all.

The story is very convoluted and full of unnecessary elements. And worse, almost all of the characters are boring (the chef is pretty cool). Movies can get away with bad stories if they have good characters to watch. I can deal with the talking rats and mice, but then there is a character made of vegetables and fruits. They don't really explain how he exists, but he just kinda appears. He seemed like the "Deus ex Machina" of the movie, where the story is coming to a wall, so they make this man made of vegetables appear to help get to the next point in the movie (you see him twice, I think).

Ratatouille + An American Tale - comedy - interesting characters = The Tale of Despereaux

The Good: The animation was very good. The intricacy of the hairs on the mice and rats was pretty amazing. Thats all I have to say..

Rating: 4.5 out of 10

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you called it Ratatouille 2. It doesn't deserve such a reference.

    Poll - Ratatouille vs. Wall-e

    I vote Ratatouille.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I meant that in a sense that its about a rat and food...that's all.

    However, I did like Wall-E more than Ratatouille.

    ReplyDelete