Wednesday, January 21, 2009

...just as embarrassed as I am. (Sex and the City review)

I have been torn all morning. Do I write about the fact that I watched Sex and the City last night? And worse, do I mention the fact that I like it?

Despite the endless ridicule I'm about to take, here we go...Bring it on.

Sex and the City. First a show, now a movie. I must say that I had never seen a full episode of it, however, I was fully aware of the show and its premise. 4 girls, running around talking about love live, sex live, woman life--not the show for me. And no one, not even Mr. Shmovies will be able to talk me into watching the premiere episode.

When the movie came out, I had already dismissed it as a movie that I would watch. Despite having decent reviews, I figured that it was only women who actually saw the movie, therefore it must have only been women that reviewed the movie. Lo and behold, I am dating a woman, and she wished to see this movie...

The good: You didn't have to watch the show to know all of the background. They do a gimicky intro at the beginning that introduces all the characters and backgrounds in a matter of minutes. The story is enticing, and the characters are interesting. There is something about the ridiculousness (is that a word?) of how the character's act that draws your attention. I usually don't like it if there are too many characters to keep track of, but they do a good job of it here.

Good RomCom. Lots of funny moments, I found myself laughing more during this movie than most other movies this year (except maybe Tropic Thunder and Pineapple Express). And for you emotional ones out there, it can choke you up.

The bad: There is nothing that POPS out at you. No great monologues, no great lines, no great jokes, no action. So basically, it is a good movie to watch, but not memorable in any way.

Rating: 7 out of 10

Please be gentle if anyone comments, keep it PG.

1 comment:

  1. You are lying to yourself to feel better about watching such a bad movie. I lost all respect for your movie taste.

    ReplyDelete