Thursday, January 29, 2009

...apparently watch romantic comedies (Smart People review).

Dennis Quaid, Sarah Jessica Parker, Ellen Page, and Lowell from Wings. Good, right?

At one point last year, I read a review that said that this movie was one of the best of the year. One of the best? No... Good? Yes.

This is a classic disfunctional family movie. You know the story, the dead-beat adopted brother moves in with the pompous, middle-aged, widowed professor whose son hates him because he doesn't pay attention to him and his daughter idolizes him because he is smart, but the daughter is too arrogant herself so she lives a repressed life then ends up falling for the dead-beat adopted brother who gets her high and drunk, then to get away from the arrogant daughter, the dead-beat adopted brother moves in to the unappreciated son's dorm, where the son ends up writing a poem that the new yorker buys which ends up grabbing the pompous father's attention but only after the pompous father falls in love with the ER doctor who turns out to be a former student of his--we've all heard it before.

The good: This is pretty funny. Not funny haha, but funny strange. There is enough strange things that go on that made me laugh. The story is pretty original and not your normal romantic comedy. Oh, and its pretty short 1 hour 35 mins, which made it a good late night watch, without staying up too late.

The bad: I don't really have anything bad too say about it.

Which brings me to a crossroad. How do I rate a movie I don't have anything bad to say about? I mean, I enjoyed it, I would recommend it. But it didn't blow me away. Does a movie rating start at 10 and get minus points for having bad things in it? In which case this would be a 10? or does it start at 0, and as the movie progresses, the score goes up? I guess, I do neither. It just needs to be my overall feel for the movie.

Rating: 7.5 out of 10

1 comment:

  1. Ok...So, 2 out of your last 3 blogs have been about chick flicks. I can understand that between having a girlfriend and watching an obscene amount of movies that you are bound to watch a few of these. With that being said, you need to tighten up. In order to redeem yourself, you should blog about your Super Bowl pick or something...or...you could always talk about the last episode of Grey's Anatomy...or...since you don't like TV shows, you could talk about how you can't wait until they make a Grey's Anatomy the movie.

    ReplyDelete