Monday, January 5, 2009

...watch older movies!

So here is the question: Is it ok to review old movies? When I say old, I don't always mean black and white movies. At this point, I would consider a movie that came out in 2003 an old movie. This kind of reminds me of a stand up comedy skit by Jim Gaffigan where he talks about bringing up old movies in conversation, and how awkward it is (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHa8L8ORsu8 starting at 1:55).

I say YES! Its ok, there are too many good older movies that are left on the shelves. And shame on you, person that does not like to watch older movies! Based on my last 2 crappy visits to the theater, I may take a new movie hiatus until further notice (probably not, though).

So I will start with a few recommendations/non-recommendations...

Comedy: Zero Effect (7.5 out of 10)

I will be the first to say that I despise Bill Pullman. But in this movie, he plays an eccentric private investigator to near perfection. He's funny, awkward, and always grabs your attention. This also co-stars Ben Stiller, in a not-so-funny role.

Action/Comedy: The Big Hit (7 out of 10)

Who would've thought that Lou Diamond Phillips could make a movie? Sure, Marky Mark is the main character, but he's kinda boring. But everytime you see Lou, you are guaranteed to laugh. The action sequences are a bit cheesy, but fun to watch. This is about the best you'll ever get from John Woo...even though he is only a producer (I can discuss my hatred for John Whoo some other time).

Foreign: Nine Queens (8 out of 10)

Not sure, I think its Spanish. This is a story of con-artists trying to make a big sale of counterfeit rare stamps. Lots of twists, lots of turns, lots of goodness. Watch it.

So there are 3 recommendations, let me know if you ever get a chance to watch them. My guess is that you have at least seen The Big Hit if you are reading this.

1 comment: