Tuesday, January 27, 2009

...snore. (Revolutionary Road review)

Happy Birthday, baby! (well, Jan 23rd)

So her birthday wish was to watch the movie Revolutionary Road. I hadn't heard too much about it, but Leo has been pretty strong over the past few years. So I look this movie up on IMDB and it had an 8.3; and if you frequent IMDB, 8.3 is a really good score (I looked it up again today, it has since gone down to 7.9).

Sweet, an 8.3 movie with Leo. Leo's previous 6 movies: Body of Lies, Blood Diamond, The Departed, The Aviator, Catch Me if you Can, and Gangs of New York. This dude is on a roll.

WHAT THE HELL?! After nearly falling asleep a few times in the first 40 mins or so, I was trying to figure out what went wrong. Then I figured it out--if a movie isn't funny, or if there is no action, or if there isnt any interesting dialogue or interesting conflict, I apparently don't like it.

Just because a movie is supposed to be "good," does not mean its entertaining! Take, for example, Citizen Kane. "The best movie of all time." Have you ever seen this movie? Were you riveted? Did you laugh? Could you sit there for 2 hours? THE ANSWER IS NO!!! Now, I have come to appreciate Citizen Kane after watching it about 5 times (forced most of the time by movie classes I took in school). Maybe thats what is needed to appreciate this movie, but hopefully I won't be taking any classes that will force me to watch it.

The Good: Leo is good as usual. And After the first half of the movie, the suspense builds up a little. I was mildly entertained the 2nd half. The acting in general was good.

The Bad: Boooring. I mean, the story was ok. A young family in the 1950's trying to break lose from the "normal" life they are "supposed" to live. But they did not throw anythign else into the mix. No twists, no comedy, no action (well, Leo almost punches Kate a couple times). I just wanted the movie to end--and that is a bad sign for the movie.

Now, I am not trying to totally bash this movie. I can see how people would like it, my gf liked it a lot. Its just that if you like "entertaining" movies, rather than movies that are "well done," this isn't for you.

Rating: 5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment