Wednesday, January 14, 2009

...love some Ben Kingsley. (Transsiberian review)

So, I'm not into thriller/suspense films, but last night, my gf and I decided to watch Transsiberian. I normally veto movies like this, but for the sake of watching Ben Kingsley, I obliged.

The Good: Ben Kingsley. I can't really say enough about this dude. He seems to be able to play every role, and play it well. Unfortunately, he doesn't get enough screen time in this, as he plays small, but significat role.

Movies to See: Sexy Beast and Gandhi. (Honorable mention: Sneakers, Lucky Number Slevin and You Kill Me.)

The suspense in this movie was very low key, but enough that it kept me on edge while watching it.

The Bad: I'm not much of a Woody Harrelson fan. He's not funny, he's not scary and he's not serious. In this, he tries to play the "normal" nice guy husband, and I'm sitting here waiting for him to crack jokes (or maybe catch an alley-oop for a dunk). The movie drags for a fair amount. Until about 1/3 through the movie, I was pretty bored, just waiting for something to happen.

I wanted to slap the girl in the face the whole movie. Seriously, how many bad decisions can the main character make without it seeming ridiculous? There is a level of believability that this character should have, but she didn't deliver.

Several plot holes. I kept asking myself, "How did that happen?"

I can't really give a good movie formula for this movie since I don't watch too many thrillers.

Overall, I liked it, but I'll probably never watch it again.

Rating: 6.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment