Thursday, January 8, 2009

...interested in Jekyll.

A friend once told me "movies, shmovies." Then went on to tell me how great the wonderful world of television was and that movies were a waste of time. My mantra for the past 8 years or so about TV had always been "if it's not 24, I'm not watching it."

Sure TV has some bright spots: Iron Chef, Poker After Dark, Flavor of Love. But I can't seem to bring myself to keep up with weekly shows, especially ones that have stringing story lines from show to show (again, except for 24). I have never seen a full episode of Lost--don't hate, I know there is some sort of island involved...like Survivor, right? It just takes too long to get the satisfaction of how the story ends.

Anyways, I stumble upon House. I know its been on for years, like 4 seasons or so. But it turns out that I love this show. I haven't really watched ER, Grey's Anatomy or that other hospital drama with John Stamos, but I just imagine that this is the funnier, more entertaining and better version of all of those shows. Now, I usually have no idea what they are talking about when they refer to all these symptoms, drugs and diseases, but I don't think that matters. Its like a "whodunit", except the "who" usually isn't a person (except in this last episode I watched where a wife was poisoning her husband with gold dust--not the wrestler). This is a good show.

So that brings me to my title "...interested in Jekyll." I didn't think I could just start talking about a TV show without the precursor, because people know I don't watch TV shows. Point being, House has inspired me to try some TV shows.

I was browsing through Netflix to find a show to watch, when I stumbled across this show called Jekyll. I feel as if I heard of this show before, but I don't know what channel it was on. Maybe Showtime? HBO? I dunno, but its a British show about the good ol' Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I can't decide... When I started watching the show, I thought it was pretty dumb. Decent acting, but bad effects, bad story (so far at least) and not enough Mr. Hyde. The odd thing is that when the show ended, I immediately watched the 2nd. Then the 3rd. I finally call it quits at 3:30 am since I had to work today.

I am not convinced that this is a good show yet, although it had a 4-star rating on Netflix and an 8.3 rating on IMDB. But, does the fact that I want to keep watching it make it good?

2 comments:

  1. I prefer to watch TV shows after they've aired, downloaded in high-def, since I don't have a Tivo.

    Try Bones, it's like House of crime dramas. I hate CSI, Law & Order, and all of their stupid spin offs, but never miss Bones.

    Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother are also good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that if you can't stop watching the show, whether or not you realize its a 'good' show or not is not the point, its drawn you back to watching more, therefore its gotta be decent.

    I agree with Boon about watching shows on DVD, I actually just got the first 3 seasons of How I met your Mother on DVD since they were on sale on amazon

    ReplyDelete