Wednesday, August 26, 2009

...listen, not hear. (Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist review)

I took a class in college called "Music in Film" or "Sound in Film"...I actually forget. But, the lesson was this, many movies use sound or music to drive the film. I have always been a fan of soundtracks to movies, but I figured this would actually be a good time to talk about it.

A couple weeks ago, I watched "I Love You, Man" (I need to write about it), and in the middle of a scene, I told my roommate to stop it and rewind. I then asked what song was playing in the background. I couldn't really make it out, but later looked it up and found it to be "Oxford Comma" by Vampire Weekend--awesome song. I know some of you readers are well versed with this group, but for the rest of us, paying a little attention to the music in a movie will find youself a nice little playlist for yourself.

Anyways, Nick and Norah's Infinite playlist is about 2 high-schoolers that love the underground music scene. They are trying to find some band all night--shenanigans ensue.

The good: As mentioned above, I like the music that is played...and there is a lot of it. Michael Sera (the Arrested Development kid) does his little dorky, witty, routine which he does so well. The story is fairly intriguing--trying to find a band that is supposedly everyones favorite band ever. SPOILER: I can't decide if its a good thing, or a bad thing, but this supposed "best band" called "Where's Fluffy?" never gets to play. You see them take stage at the end of the movie, but get left hanging.

The bad: The rest of the characters aren't very memorable. Kinda lame actually. Although there are hints of comedic genious, I didn't laugh quite as much as would've liked.

Entertaining enough.

Rating: 6.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment