Monday, August 24, 2009

...re-read the history books. (Inglourious Basterds review)

So I had 2 texts come to me this weekend that both said "Have you seen District 9? Is it any good?" And to both texts I responded, "No, but I did see Inglourious Basterds. Go watch that...its really good." I'm still waiting on one response, but the other replied "It suuucked."--talking about District 9, of course.

Why do people ask if they aren't going to listen? I also come across many instances where people watch movies that I have clearly said not to watch on this blog...then complain about them. Stupid people.

So finally, after years of waiting, Inglourious Basterds arrives. Quentin Tarantino's story had apparently been written before the Kill Bill movies came out a while back, and originally slated to be called "Once Upon a time in Nazi-Occupied France." I don't know if I have conveyed this before...but I love me some Tarantino.

The good: Tarantino's story-telling and dialogue are far superior to any contemporary director. Every moment is as awkward and intense as the next. This movie isn't full of too much action, but enough satiate that itch we all have. The shock value is great. There oh so many scenes where you can't believe what you just saw. And its funny! Brad Pitt is ridiculous--in a very good way. Every scene that he is in, you will laugh out loud at least once, guaranteed. I also love how this movie is definitely NOT historically accurate. It gives a nice little twist. All other WWII movies you always know how things are gonna end because they try to stay true to history--not the case here.

The bad: Its loooong. Running a little over 2 and half hours. Luckily it doesn't feel that bad when watching. There are not enough Brad Pitt scenes. Although the supposed "main" character, he is probably in less than half of the movie.

Go watch it.

Rating: 9 out of 10

1 comment:

  1. Little known trivia: Inglorious BastArds is actually the American title for a B Italian WWII movie, hence the misspelling.

    ReplyDelete