Thursday, September 10, 2009

...like some prawns. (District 9 review)

IMDB score: 8.6

Whats weird is that I didn't hear anything that supported this. I either heard that it was "ok", or it "wasn't bad", or even a "it suuuucked."

Peter Jackson did not direct this. As deceiving as the trailers may be, he only produced it. However, fun fact of the day. The director, Neil Blaumkapmejflaidjfpa (not sure), was supposed to direct the Halo movie that fell through. So, Jackson gave this guy $30 million to make whatever he wanted. This is the movie that resulted.

The good: I love the story. Aliens get stranded on Earth. South Africans restrain the aliens to a certain area but are allowed to colonize and stay. Tensions rise. I think this is was well adapted (I believe it is based on some other story), and as the trend continues, it is a "realistic" view of how it may be handled in present day. And I like how this movie was filmed in the manner of a documentary. It is a quick and interesting way to give all the background information and allowed them to jump quickly into the story. Although not a comedy, there was a fair amount of comedic value...especially as the aliens pick up the habits of the slums. There were a couple of nods to video games in the alien weaponry (Gravity Gun from Half Life 2) which is always fun for us nerds.

The bad: I don't think I'm a fan of the alien design used. Not a fan of the ending.

This was a good movie, stop hating.

Rating: 9 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment