Tuesday, February 17, 2009

..read the book. (Running with Scissors review).

"The book was much better." These were the words of my gf on Sunday night. How many times will I hear that? Not necessarily from her, but from anyone that reads books. I can actually say that 3 times: Congo, Rising Sun and The Da Vinci Code. But, unless they start adapting some Kurt Vonnegut books, I may never say those words again.

I am forced to think that this phenomenon only exists because of the energy put towards reading the book. Has anyone ever tried reading a book AFTER watching the movie first? If you have, I'd like to know your thoughts. I thought the book, The Da Vinci Code, was the greatest thing ever--and then I thought the movie, The Da Vinci Code, was the worst thing ever. But whats weird, is that I know some people that like the movie, but never read the book.

Whatever, despite my feelings on those 3 books, I'll take the 2 hour movie over the book any day.

Anyways, Running With Scissors. Based on a book by Augusten Burroughs. This movie was a little out there. Its a movie about a disfuncitonal family that intertwines with another disfunctional family.

The good: It has some funny moments, but not laugh out loud funny. The fact that EVERYONE in this movie is literally crazy makes you wonder what will happen almost every scene.

The bad: The story doesn't really go anywhere. Just seems like a mass of crazy nothingness. I don't know if the book tied it together well, but the movie did not. Lots of plot holes. None of the characters really hold my attention.

I'm sad to say that I don't have much else to say about this movie. Don't watch it.

Rating: 4 out of 10

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you...a movie over a book any day. I am one of those people who thought that The Da Vinci Code, the movie, was good, but I also never read the book. What are you going to do about Angels and Demons? I hear the book is really good, but let's face it, I'm never going to read the book. I hope this means I can enjoy the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I read that too. It was good. Pretty much the same story, except at the Vatican. I imagine they will get it right this time, after Da Vinci Code flopped so badly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wish i learned how to read back in the day...

    ReplyDelete