Thursday, February 5, 2009

...Documentary happy. (Man on Wire review)

I don't get it. I never WANT to watch a documentary...but, every time I start watching one, I always get involved and normally end up liking it. An Inconvenient Truth, Planet B-Boy, Sicko...all pretty good.

So I hear about this documentary on a podcast that I listen to, then it ends up being nominated for Best Documentary at the Oscars. And luckily, its on Netflix instant streaming (Netflix, are you reading this? Show me the money!)

Man on Wire is a true story of a French dude that decides that he wants to walk across the twin towers (r.i.p.) by way of a tight rope. It shows how he has done the same sort of thing at other famous buildings, like Notre Dame. This dude was crazy.

The Good: Its pretty amazing to see how confident this guy was. Whats funny is that he never gets permission to do any of these tight rope stunts on any of the famous buildings, so he always ends up getting arrested.

In a way, its like a caper movie because it shows how he plots his way to the top of the world trade center.

The Bad: A lot of the film is re-enactments. Since they had to sneak their way to the top, they didn't have any real documentation (mind you, this was in 1974). The only thing that there is documentation for is that he actually did walk on a tight rope across. How they actually get up there is just story telling.

Overall, I found this documentary to be entertaining enough. Not the best, but worth a watch. I'm surprised that I had never heard of this person before until this film came out. A man walking across the tallest buildings in the world seems like something I wouldve heard about. Maybe my brother heard about, since he's the only one that was alive back then...

Rating: 6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment