Monday, June 29, 2009

...say, "What about Galvatron?" (Transformers 2 review)

Don't believe the negative hype.

I love me some IMAX. The last movie that I went to watch in IMAX was The Dark Knight...which, if you didn't get a chance to do that, I feel sorry for you. My next opportunity, Transformers 2. Luckily the just put an IMAX next to my parents house. Why not Cville?

So 6.7 on IMDB. Not so hot right? But to put this in perspective...The Rock, possibly one of the best action flicks ever (thats right, I said it) is a 7.2. Armageddon=6.0. Now, I am talking about action-only flicks, so please don't say that the Bourne movies are better, or Empire Strikes Back. Obviously, those are "better" movies because of story, acting, editing, etc. But Transformers 2 is non-stop from start to finish...its like eating ice cream in a cake cone.

The good: Can I say that I love some Shia Labeouf? Not so much as Megan Fox...but that dude is funny. I swear, I think I laughed out loud more times in this movie than in The Hangover...well, close at least. The comedy left off where the first one started and had some good laughs the whole time.

Action, action, action. There were like 30 robots in this movie--including the Constructacons and Soundwave. The fight scenes were awesome, and there were lots of them, which was a problem in the first one (not enough fights). They pulled a lot of the slow motion parts where it shows the robots getting busted up--there are some brutal scenes.

And did I mention Megan Fox?

The bad: Although there are lots of robots, there is nearly no characterization--which I don't care too much about. But if you didn't see the first one, you will not understand a lot of it. There are just robots and characters popping out of no where with no explanations. So we can go ahead and say there are plot holes and bad story telling, but that was a given.

Also, there are a few action sequences that just dont look too good. It almost seems like they ran out of money for some of the CGI scenes, and they had to get cheaper programmers to do it.

But, whatever! I loved this movie. So to all of you nay-sayers...

Rating: 8 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment