Tuesday, June 2, 2009

...stop making fun of Trekkies. (Star Trek review)

Never seen an episode. Never seen a movie.

Of course I can rattle of the names of characters and things from the Star Trek franchise: Captain Kirk, Spock, Klingons, USS Enterprise, Kahn, "Beam me up, Scotty", Scotty, Checkov, Uharu, Vulcans, Romulans...Wookies? Star Trek is ridiculously intertwined with our culture that every person knows most of these terms.

And with the new trend of "beginnings," such as Batman and James Bond, it only makes sense to see how Star Trek came to be. It got my attention.

The good: This movie is great from start to finish. The mix of action, comedy, and story line is everything that I look for in a movie. And what made it fun for me was seeing all of the characters that I have only heard about, and where they come from. Thanks god they gave Captain Kirk a new persona. Imagine, a, young, William, Shatner, who, speaks, with, breaks, between, every, word. It, just, wouldnt, fly, with, today's, audience. And with two of my favorites, John Cho and Simon Pegg, I was smiling the whole way (although they have small parts).

The thing with Sci-Fi is that they can get away with ridiculous plots. Time travel. Exploding/Imploding planets. These are conventions that you expect when you go into it.

The bad: I would've liked to see more of the bad guy...Nero? Zero? I forget. But when you have a bad guy that is as sinister as this, you'd like to see him whip a little more butt.

Halleluiah for the most entertaining movie of 2009!

Rating: 9 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment