Tuesday, March 17, 2009

...read the...comic? (Watchmen review)

I love me some midnight openings. What I don't like is watching 3 hour long movies at midnight then staying up another hour just to drive to airport 2 and half hours early because it is an international flight so I can zip through check-in and and security and get to the gate with 2 hours to spare, in the meantime, having a sprained ankle. So, my view of this movie may be a bit skewed.

I never read the comic, although I had heard about it (maybe I should call it a "graphic novel" so people don't get mad). And for those of you that don't know the conspiracy, this movie almost didn't get released. I forget the movie companies in question, but apparently someone made the movie that didn't have the rights for the movie. Then AFTER they finished the movie, the company that did own the rights said they couldn't release it... but thats another story, and we can see that it worked out in the end.

The Good: The action, the direction, the characters, the story. So pretty much all of the important things were good about this. The story was a lot deeper than I had imagined it. I thought it was just going to be a superhero versus humans sorta thing, I mean, that was still sorta that, but not really--I'm not explaining myself further here. I loved the montage at the beginning of movie.

When there was action, it was really good. It had a lot of the 300 gimic of slow motion action. Its kinda funny, because all of the "heroes" are very goofy looking and not menacing at all...but when it comes to fighting, its pretty sweet.

The Bad: Did I mention this movie was almost 3 hours long? There was a lot of character development flashbacks that I thought were done well enough, but since there are like 10 characters, that took up a lot of time. But thats not the time that was wasted. WAY to much self reflection for some of the characters. I feel like they could've conveyed the same messages in about 30 to 40 less minutes.

Overall: I liked it. I like it more now after thinking about the movie than I did at 4am. I am half curious to read the comic. This is the first time that I've heard that the movie may have been as good as the book--just made a little differently to adapt to the big screen.

Rating: 7.5 out of 10 (8 if it wasn't so long)

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more about the movie. The one thing that you didn't mention was that obscene amount of glowing blue male genitals. I mean...did that add anything to the story at all? I think not. I can understand that the movie was trying to be an accurate representation of the graphic novel, but seeing all of Dr Manhattan's glory that often was not necessary. If the movie was a little shorter and minus the waist down of Dr Manhattan, I could probably give the movie an 8.5.....

    ReplyDelete