Friday, April 24, 2009

...go to Bhaliwood. (Slumdog Millionaire review)

I don't know if this was actually a Bahliwood movie, but it is based in India...so thats close enough, right? I'm so mad. I generally like to see the movies that were nominated for Best Picture, but I didn't get to see any! This is the first of that group that I have seen.

So this movie was the out-of-nowhere favorite of 2008. It won 8 Academy Awards, including Best Picture. It has an 8.5 on IMDB and has had ridiculous amounts of hype. Does it live up to the hype? Absolutely! Do I think its the best thing since sliced bread? No. But it's probably the best movie I have seen in several years.

I do have a question though. Does anyone know why Indians tend to bobble their head when they talk? I hope this isn't offensive, but I've never gotten an answer regarding that.

The Good: I love the story. It is based on an Indian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire. Everytime the contestant answers a question, it shows a flashback of how he actually knows the answer. This was a pretty sweet gimic that ties together a rather compelling story (although the story itself reminds me of The Kite Runner). They are all no name actors, at least in America, but all do a great job. The entire movie was paced well...I was never distracted by boredom--like the Mars scenes in Watchmen.

The music was awesome. There was a couple of pop songs that are familiar, but a lot of up-beat Indian music that I had never heard. I think one of the songs ended up winning an Academy Award as well.

The Bad: Nothing really. Maybe I would've like to laugh a little bit more, but not necessary.

Rating: 9 out of 10

1 comment:

  1. Seen this on the plane, truly great story told in a way that keeps you guessing how he came to know the answers. He definitely deserves to win all that money considering all the crap he had to deal with all his life.

    ReplyDelete